Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Leaving Room

I know, I know, a little late for an update on our Sunday gathering, but here goes:

God was doing something amazing in our midst last Sunday.  I can't explain it, I can't even really describe it, but I know that something was going on.  And I know that I had absolutely nothing to do with it.

And that feels good.  And that scares me a little.

This Sunday was our kickoff for our basement project.  For those of you unfamiliar with the KPC facility, let's just say the basement is a mess.  It is still largely unchanged from the early 1900s when it was a corner grocery store.  It is unclean, unsafe, and not capable of being used to the full extent we need for all of our community relationships at this point.  

God has provided a unique opportunity for us to have donated labor to get 'er done now, so we have just stared raising the funds to do so...and I HATE raising funds and even talking about money in churches because it has been so abused through the years.  The thought of a building project makes me sick.  We set a goal for $10,000.  Needless to say, we won't be doing stain glass windows.

So this Sunday was our kickoff, where we began to accept pledges toward the project and went downstairs and wrote prayers all over the soon-to-be-covered cement walls.  As I was planning the service, I kept stressing out over how to make it this great Mountain-top event.  And I was getting nowhere.

My friend, Redford, said, "Why are you so stressed?  This thing is bigger than you.  Just let God take it."  Not normally good at taking advice, I decided to listen, step back and just let God roll.  Nothing special planned, just a time of simple prayer and worship...

AND GOD SHOWED UP!

It was so cool.   Our worship team is great (in heart as much as talent), and totally led us before the Lord.  But then it went beyond even them.  At one point, the team became disjointed and the song fell apart into a capella...and I heard people worshipping God louder than I have EVER heard in KPC before...not because of the great music, but because of our Great God.

And it didn't take well-structured programming to get us there...just leaving some room for God to do HIS thing in our midst.

Hopefully I have learned my lesson for the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment