Friday, January 30, 2009

TOP 5: Cereals

Let me preface this list with my starting assumptions:

1) Anything that changes the milk color shall receive negative points.
2) Any cereal with anything but milk added to it outside the box does not qualify as said cereal (i.e. Raisin Bran with added sugar or splenda is not Raisin Bran...). They must be cereal au natural!

Here's the list:

1) Grape Nuts Trail Mix Crunch - it's a little sugary, but what more could you want?

2) Basic 4 - this stuff costs a fortune if it's not on sale, but soooo good.

3) Grape Nuts - nothing needs said, you love it or you hate it.

4) Crispex - i ate an entire box of this once at one sitting. so light and crispy, but the best part is its ability to capture the milk inside.

5) Cracklin' Oat Bran - it might as well be cookies. if you've never tried this, you must - TODAY! Just be willing to shell out $4 for a small box, it's pricey!

Honorable mention to cereals that don't exist anymore:
1) Graham Chex - perhaps the greatest cereal ever created. Graham flavored chex pieces with actual Graham cracker wafers thrown in for good measure. TOUCHDOWN!

2) Fruit filled Shredded mini-wheats - they had plain (non-sugared) mini wheats with strawberry, raspberry, or blueberry filling inside each piece. they were great in milk or dry as a snack. The people who pulled them from production need fired...and perhaps admitted.

What would you add, according to my assumptions? according to your tastes?

4 comments:

  1. Andrea and I have been diggin' Special K with strawberries lately. (The strawberries are included, so I think it meets your criteria.) Special K flakes have little air bubbles that make them extra light and crunchy.

    Also, call me a traditionalist, but I've always been a fan of Wheaties: The Breakfast of Champions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a HUGE fan of Kashi Go Lean Crunch. So crunchy and nutty and wholesome. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. At the top of my list definitely is Cap'n Crunch Peanut Butter cereal. It's delicious with or without milk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In response:
    David, I agree. I was skeptical with the freeze dried strawberries, but they pull it off.

    Lisa, you are a girl after Robin's heart. She loves that stuff. I could deal with it going on sale more often :)

    Steve,
    I remember that about you! Always a Cap'n Crunch family. Peanut Butter cereals have grown on me through the years...probably because peanut butter itself has.

    ReplyDelete